Rev. Denny Smith

Rev. Denny Smith
Long time contributor to Cherokee Scout newspaper

Reverend Denny Smith contributes a weekly column in the Cherokee Scout newspaper of Murphy, NC. These Christian based mini sermons reflect ideologies learned at Christian Love Ministries in Murphy. CLM is a non-profit Christian drug and alcohol treatment center founded in 1986 by Rev. Smith.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Criticizing Others

CRITICIZING OTHERS


DENNY SMITH

If you find yourself being critical of another person you obviously think of yourself as a “superior person.” The Apostle Paul had the right attitude when he said that he was the worst sinner there ever was (see 1 Timothy 1:15). It takes God a long time to convince us of the wrong belief that if others don’t see things the way that we do they must be wrong. “Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? To his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, He shall be holden up; for God is able to make him stand. One man esteemeth one day above another; another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind” (Romans 14:4 & 5). I wish I could walk around humming and singing “Home On the Range” all of the time, but I forget to do it. The best line in that song (to me) is “Never is heard a discouraging word.” Being critical of others, speaking negatively about them is the mark of being immature in our faith. Paul said; “Let us not, therefore, judge one another any more; but judge this rather: that no man put a stumbling block or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way” (Romans 14:13). When I judge others and criticize them I miss the mark and become a stumbling block, hurting others, when my real desire is to help them. The core of our faith is supposed to be “Love one another” (1st John 4:7). Colossians 3:13 says; “Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any; even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.” There are no good people on planet earth- “no, not one” (Romans 3:12). We waste a lot of time trying to convince others to think like we do about so many unimportant things, instead of focusing on the most important thing that because Jesus died on the cross they are forgiven period. Paul said: “I determined not to know anything among you, except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified” (1 Corinthians 2:2)


Many years ago I had been studying the Book of Revelation. My Pastor had put me in the position of teaching the adults at the Wednesday evening services. I began the class one evening by saying: “Brothers and Sisters. We are going to study the Revelation. The wisest, most mature man in the class said: “Brother Denny all those prophecies in the Revelation are amazing, and good, but I don’t even understand my salvation. Can’t we study all that happened because Jesus died on the cross for our sins?” My pride was shattered. I felt like my jaws had been smacked and I had been rightly put in my place. I wrote a poem shortly after that night that says; “The more I know, the more I know that I know nothing. Little do I know.” We are supposed to demonstrate love to this dying world. Loving God, and loving others is what we should be doing (see Matthew 22:36-40). The next time you find yourself getting ready to say a critical word about others, put your hand over your mouth: “If thou hast done foolishly in lifting up thyself, or if thou hast thought evil, lay thine hand upon thy mouth” (Proverbs 30:32).

No comments:

Post a Comment